Crock Pot Baked Beans February 02 2017
Baked beans are a hearty classic that go great with Bubba’s Boneless Ribs. They are sweet, delicious, and packed with protein. They also serve as a great side for any meal and are perfect for a southern BBQ!
Crock Pot Baked Beans
Serves; about 10 side portions
- 1 pound dry beans such as Borlotti beans or Great Northern beans
- 8 cups cold water to soak beans
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups hot water
- 10 ounces salt pork (can sub bacon), cut into 1/2-inch to 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, (1 1/2 cups) small chopped
- Place beans in a large pot and cover with water; soak overnight. The next day, bring the beans and soaking water to a boil. Once it’s boiling, remove it from heat and cover with a lid to let sit for 30 minutes. Drain the beans, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid for later.
- Mix the molasses, brown sugar, mustard, and ground cloves with 2 cups of hot water and 1 cup of reserved cooking liquid.
- Line the bottom of a slow-cooker (or a Dutch oven if you are cooking in the oven) with half of the salt pork Layer over half of the drained beans. Add the entire chopped medium onion over top of the beans.
- Top with another layer of beans and the remaining salt pork. Pour the molasses water mixture over the beans to just cover the beans.
- Cover and cook in a slow-cooker on the low setting for 8 hours (or in a 250°F oven), until the beans are tender. Check the water level a few hours in, and if the beans need more water, add some. Add additional salt to taste if needed.